Brief WPC History
Westminster Presbyterian Church was founded as a missions church by First Presbyterian Church, Vicksburg, MS. It was constituted by the Central Mississippi Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church, USA on July 8, 1951. The Rev. John H. Thompson was called to be the first Minister of the newly formed church. There were 57 charter members, one Associate member, and 21 baptized children received on that day. (Taken from Minutes of the commission of Central Mississippi Presbytery to organize the Westminster Presbyterian Church, Vicksburg, Mississippi [View document]).
On September 30, 1973 the congregation, following a recommendation by the session, voted to request dismissal from the Central Mississippi Presbytery (PCUSA). This was granted and WPC became a member of the Mississippi Valley Presbytery of the Continuing Presbyterian Church on October 18, 1973. In 1974 the General Assembly voted to change the name from “Continuing Presbyterian Church” to “Presbyterian Church in America”.
In 1973 WPC joined many churches in leaving the Presbyterian Church in the United States, to form the National Presbyterian Church. The name was changed in 1974 to Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). For additional information about this change, click here.
Since WPC was formed, we have had a number of great men lead this congregation as pastor. They were : John Thompson (September 9, 1951 – July 1, 1654; Robert Duhs (February 6, 1955 – May 31, 1965); and John Allen (April 3, 1966 – February 28, 1998). Our current pastor, Rev. Scott Reiber, was installed on November 14, 1999.
A more detailed history of WPC was compiled by Rev. Reiber and may be viewed here [View Document].